1. Right Honourable President Ms. Bidya Devi Bhandari conferred the Honorary Rank of General of the Nepali Army (NA) on General Manoj Mukund Naravane, the Chief of the Army Staff (COAS), Indian Army, during an investiture ceremony held at Rastrapati Bhavan, Sheetal Niwas on 05 November, 2020.
2. General Naravane was presented with a sword, insignia and a certificate of conferment order by the President during the ceremony. General Naravane arrived in Kathmandu on 04 November, 2020, at the official invitation extended by General Purna Chandra Thapa, Chief of the Army Staff, Nepali Army.
3. The Nepali and the Indian armies traditionally honour each other's chiefs by conferring on the honorary rank of General, given the close military ties shared by the two neighbors for decades. This long-held tradition is emblematic of the close ties between the national armies of Nepal and India.
4. Among the dignitaries present at the investiture ceremony were COAS General Purna Chandra Thapa, Defence Secretary Reshmi Raj Pande and Ambassador of India to Nepal H.E. Mr. Vinay Mohan Kwatra.
5. Later today, COAS General Thapa will host a banquet in honor of Gen Naravane and the visiting delegation.